LAF Time - Laughter is the very best medicine

Making Time

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Our Big Move – Part 1

Our Big Move 1

Relocation from one place to another is an adventure at times and a frustration at other times. Most of this has been a great adventure for us. There have been those times that were not so much fun. We got home from Idaho at the end of July and started working our list of things that wanted to complete before contacting a realtor. Our timeline allowed us the month of August to complete these jobs. House trim got some fresh paint, the back deck spruced up, and some painting inside – all completed. Then the huge task was in order…clearing clutter and cleaning out the closets and getting the house depersonalized for showing. Yep, we watch a lot of HGTV. We understand staging the house to sell and that it’s no longer a home when selling it. We did quite well considering this was one of the most frustrating tasks. There were about four truckloads that were taken to the dump and at least that many to Good Will. Lots of stuff was given to friends, as well. We thought we nailed that entire process and was so happy to have it done. Or so we though…

Our Big Move 3

Our next step was to select a realtor and get the house listed. Our timeline wanted to see the house on the market by September first. We met with our chosen realtor on August 30th. She scheduled a professional stager to come the next day. It turns out our prior efforts were not enough. As we went room by room with the stager, she pointed out what needed to go and what needed to move to another part of the house. One surprise we had was that the stager made only a slight change in each of our offices. As personally set up as both rooms were, she liked them and we each able to have one room where we felt at home. After the stager left, we packed up the stuff that needed to go and put it in the garage. Things that needed moving got moved. Then the most frustrating time begins. That’s when you try to live in a house that has to be ready to show a prospective buyer with just a few minutes notice.

Our Big Move 2

The realtor scheduled a photographer to take pictures of the house to post online. That happened on the 6th of September. He would need a couple of days to have the pics ready for the realtor. We would have to wait to see them till they were online too. All the photos in this post are from that photographer. Sure wish I had his name to give proper credit because he did a great job.

Our Big Move 4

On Friday, Sept. 8th at 2:30, our realtor called to tell us the house was now in the MLS and we could see the pics there. That didn’t happen until a few hours later because the phone started ringing with other realtors calling to schedule times to show our house to their clients. We had two appointments scheduled for that evening and three more scheduled for the next day. However, the next day we found ourselves meeting with our realtor, going over the offers that came in. By 1:30, we had accepted one of those offers. In less than 24 hours of the house hitting MLS, we had a contract and were in escrow.

Our Big Move 6

Our Big Move 7

We celebrated by going out to dinner and putting shampoo and body wash back in our shower. You’ve no idea how great that later part felt.

Our Big Move 5

The rest of September was spent packing, interviewing and selecting a moving company, and getting a head start on finding our next home in Idaho. Oh, and getting our RV to Idaho, which we did on October first…right on our timeline.

Our Big Move 8

More to come in the next post: Our Big Move – part 2.


  1. Wow, you really did strip it bare for staging. Great job, though, proven by selling so quickly! Congratulations!! Looking forward to Chapter 2. :-)


Thank you for visiting and taking the time to comment. If you've provided an email address, I will reply personally via email.